Danny's 5 thoughts after Nebraska (B1G Tourney)
By Danny Breslauer
1) You can pretty much start & end w/ the season-high 21 turnovers. When facing a depleted team that didn't have many fouls to give, #Rutgers had to protect the basketball in order to draw fouls on Nebraska's big 3. Instead, Palmer Jr. was able to stay clean & get hot on O.
2) Difficult ending to the season for Geo Baker, who clearly hit a late-season wall... similar to the one he did as a freshman. I'd love for him to be more aggressive next year early in games. He didn't hunt his shot, so Eugene Omoruyi (who battled as always) had to do that.
3) If there were positives in what was otherwise a staccato 40 minutes... they would be the aggression of Myles Johnson on offense (that dunk should have been the spark, but RU didn't build on it) & Ron Harper Jr.'s defense. Two freshmen you can really build around next year.
4) #Rutgers was +13 on the glass, but only hit 4 threes (a couple of them in late-game), gave up 32 FTs & couldn't take care of the ball. The offense will need to evolve in '19-'20, as you hope the addition of point guard Paul Mulcahy & Jacob Young will make it more free-flowing.
5) Always a sad day when the @RutgersMBB season ends. Thanks to Shaq Doorson for five years at RU & I wish him well. I know the 28-year NCAA drought looms large, but this off-season is as big as any in the last 30 years of the program. Huge opportunity ahead come November 2019.
Here are our last two episodes featuring guests Joel Salvi and MIke Greengarten. Just press the play button and enjoy.