Danny's 5 thoughts: Rutgers basketball year in review
by Danny Breslauer
1) I think we were all surprised that @RutgersMBB won 7 Big Ten games & competed for a @B1GMBBall bye until the final day of the regular season. A lot of that credit can go to Geo Baker for some big shot-making & Eugene Omoruyi for being bionic after his knee injury.
2) I don't remember a season in my lifetime during which I saw more progression from a #Rutgers freshman class. Between Mathis' defense, Harper Jr.'s shooting & hoops IQ, Johnson's confidence in the post & McConnell's willingness to run the offense, it was fun to watch them grow.
3) The weaknesses were obvious before the season. RU was going to struggle vs. pressure & traps w/out a true PG. That hurt the halfcourt offense, which lacked movement & efficiency. RU scratched & clawed for every bucket. That & passing/catching angles will need to get better.
4) Will #Rutgers' incoming players fill ALL the gaps? Of course not. Paul Mulcahy & Jacob Young (plus whatever wing shooter or big man @CoachPikiell targets w/ his 1-2 scholarships) are going to drastically improve the offense. However, they need to be integrated on defense too.
5) Huge 8 months for @RutgersMBB's program. Can the freshmen & sophomores make jumps (FTs, shooting, etc.)? Will Omoruyi be healthy all season? How will the Big Ten look in '19-'20? Lots of questions before Nov. 8. Thanks for talking RU hoops w/ me all year!
If you have yet to listen to our latest episode with former Scarlet Knight Joel Salvi, just press the play button below.