Danny's 5 thoughts after Penn State 3/6
By Danny Breslauer
1) Digging a 20-point hole & shooting 4-for-24 from 3... Geo Baker 0-for-10 from the floor... & @RutgersMBB had multiple tips to win the game in the final seconds. That’s pretty maddening. Coming out flat on Senior Night is a killer & it was too costly despite a furious comeback.
2) Eugene Omoruyi was terrific. He got to his spots, he hit big FTs & made defensive plays w/ blocks & on the glass. Ron Harper Jr. & Caleb McConnell picked up the slack & hit huge 3s. Myles Johnson’s rebounding position was top-shelf, but he couldn’t find the late bunny.
3) Credit to Josh Reaves. He’s the glue that holds the PSU defense together. His block on Baker late eliminated RU’s good look on the penultimate possession & he harassed the Scarlet Knights guards all night. The comeback started when he went out with 3 fouls in the 2nd half.
4) Tough night for Montez Mathis & live ball TOs plagued RU. You can’t allow 9 steals on 15 turnovers, even if you post 10 steals of your own. Nice halftime adjustments by Pikiell to get Harper & McConnell involved & make Lamar Stevens find tougher mid-range looks. Just too late.
5) Despite having little to get into for 22 minutes, the #RAC rocked for the final quarter of the game. The @RutgersU students were unreal, & even earned a visit from the athletic director. Huge opportunity to play for a @B1GMBBall bye & get to .500 on the year Sunday at Indiana.
Please listen to our current episode with guest Mike Greengarten by clicking the play button below.