Danny's 5 keys for Iowa
by Danny Breslauer
Editor’s note: You can listen to all archived episodes of the podcast by going to the episodes page. Enjoy.
1) Welcome to March, folks. It's been a while since RU has played a game in this month that gave them a chance to reach .500 for the season. The Scarlet Knights players were clearly ticked off after Wieskamp's prayer at the RAC. Hopefully that energy is harnessed tomorrow.
2) Montez Mathis is the key against Iowa on both sides of the ball. He'll be tasked with chasing Jordan Bohanon around the court for 40 minutes. The officials will set the tone early, especially following McCaffery's suspension... so let's hope they let both sides play defense.
3) I say that last piece, mostly because the Hawkeyes simply can't defend. Tyler Cook is the only one who can defend the rim (Garza is relatively bolted to the ground, despite being a very good offensive player)... so it would behoove RU to get Johnson & Omoruyi early touches.
4) #Rutgers went 7-for-20 from deep at the RAC vs. Iowa on Feb. 16. Realistically, to win at Carver-Hawkeye where Iowa plays very well, RU will need about 10 threes. Wieskamp is playing better now & Moss is slowly asserting himself. I like Baker & Harper on those two options.
5) These last 3 games are such a cool opportunity for the program. As it stands, @RutgersMBB is 10-seed & has a first round bye in the @B1GMBBall Tournament. Still lots of basketball to play, but RU controls its destiny. @ Iowa, vs. PSU, @ Indiana. Time for 120+ minutes of hoops.