Danny’s 5 thoughts: After Minnesota 2/24
By Danny Breslauer
1) The RAC came alive in final 2 minutes. There was some serious noise in the building during the final few defensive possessions, & certainly during the Murphy FTs. Of course, it's the patented Geo Baker step-back 3 dagger that has become a staple. And, RU hit 13 of last 15 FTs.
2) I mentioned in my pregame keys that Kalscheur was the only guy that could beat you from deep for Minnesota. 6-for-6 from the arc, but he only got one look in the 2nd half (due to Mathis & foul trouble). #Rutgers dodged a bullet there as the Gophers guards were otherwise m'eh.
3) Credit to Eugene Omoruyi for roughing up Murphy & Oturu a bit. That allowed Montez Mathis to exploit open floor spacing & drive to the hoop at will in the 2nd. 18 points on 7-for-13, & an enormous 3-pointer for the freshman. Huge board & FTs by Caleb McConnell to seal it.
4) If I told you Harper, Johnson & Carter would combine for 8 points on 3-for-9, you would have rightfully doubted #Rutgers' chances to make this a game against a team full of wings & bigs. Oturu had great touch tonight, but didn't get any help. Doorson kept Murphy under control.
5) That wasn't @RutgersMBB's best, not even their B game, to be honest. But, RU still got conference win No. 6. That's incredible. A full set of weekdays to rest before the rematch in Iowa on Saturday evening. The @B1GMBBall standings are setting up nicely for the start of March!
Episode 25 drops Monday 2/25 at 6am and you can listen to all archived episodes on the episode page.